LuvHaze

Sunday, March 19, 2006

REVIEW: V for Vendetta



Director: James McTeigue


Written by: Wachowski Brothers


Starring: Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea and a bunch more English people.



Plot: So ok, we're set in a futuristic version of England, and it's strictly run by some guy who spits a lot when he talks. This place sucks people. Cops or whatever rule the streets, everyone seems to be under some sort of surveillance, and there's even a stinking curfew! But then this guy in a really creepy mask comes in with his knives and leather boots and begins to show them who's boss. He calls himself V, (Hugo Weaving) and he believes that, "People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people". Cool, huh!? hahaha well somewhere in there Evey, (Natalie Portman) gets thrown into the mix. At first you wonder what this random pretty girl has to do with anything but eventually the story plays itself out and it all ties in. We're taken into a story of a man seeking vengeance, and results to killing a few people along the way... but does it honorably, and with good intention... for everyone it seems. "Remember, remember, the 5th of November"...




Hmm... where to start. First of all let me point out that the Wachowski brothers also were responsible for the creation of the Matrix, and who didn't love THAT movie? (I'm only referring to the first one here, let's not get into the other ones unless you want to hear a whole bunch of "give me a breaks" and "lay off the green-screens you crazy nerds".) I'm telling you this because Vendetta gave us some similar qualities. Very groovy action of course. Natalie Portman doesn't freeze in mid-air or anything like that, but there are plenty of cool fight sequences and explosions. Also, very awesome job setting the atmospere here. The first future-film that actually seemed like it could be our future. They didn't go crazy and include a bunch of robots and stuff.
Mr. Smi... I mean Hugo Weaving is a fantastic speaker isn't he? I mean, his voice is so smooth and heavy, I love listening to it. It was kind of funny, during the movie I wasn't feeling very well. I had a serious headache and I'm sitting there watching the movie in an IMAX theater. But everytime Hugo would speak (and he spoke a lot), my headache seriously would fade away, but then come back when Natalie Portman attempted her english accent. She's not a terrible actress guys, but I think along the same lines with my Aunt on this one. Why won't she just move her lips!? We KNOW you're talking, just because you're being all "serious" or "mad" or whatever doesn't mean you're expression can't change. But dang, Natalie looked really cute in this film. Even when her hair was shaved off! I wonder how many girls can get away with that. She looked pretty cool. Anyway, Natalie did well I thought, she makes a good heroine. I'm pretty sure this girl will never have any problems getting herself a movie role...ever. But back to Hugo Weaving, poor guy has to take characters with a big huge mask just so people don't associate him to Mr. Smith! (haha kidding.) Excellent actor I believe. I would LOVE to see him in a Shakespeare play or something like that. He'd be a phenominal Hamlet. His character, V, was hideous. I mean come on that mask would scare children! He's wearing a cheesy cape and throws knives. It all just seems pretty silly, doesn't it? Well, Hugo gave it his all, and gave this character personality, and charisma. I was questionable for the first few minutes or so, but I swear I fell in love with this crazy caped person very quick.
Cheesy? Yes. I had to wince a few times when they brought out the whole knife throwing thing. Do we really need all the "swooshes" and "bangs"? And for goodness sakes, ZOOM OUT! sheesh, it got hard trying to figure out who was punching who at times.
I will say, however, that this film never seemed dull. Sure, it was over two hours long but the makers kept us on our toes. They didn't give everything away all at once. We were given bits and pieces of the story throughout, making us curious until the very end. This film pretty much had everything that makes a movie good. It's plot was easy to follow, and intersting to watch as well because it included some very cool philisophical thoughts. And although there wasn't a HUGE climactic ending every action movie should have, there was a pretty neat scene there. And you know, I don't really know what category this movie is labeled in. Is it action? Because I thought it had more. There was drama, mystery and even a little romance. In my opinion, that's what make the best films. (Braveheart has it, as well as Gladiator and The Princess Bride.) I'd watch this film many times over because of that. So yea, very well-done, I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates good movie entertainment.



Rating: 4/5

3 Comments:

  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great review Stephny! I might even go see this movie now, hahaha. Who did you see it with?

    I agree with you about Hugo's voice--I loved listening to him in Lord of the Rings. And did you know that he was the voice of the dox Rex (the one that tried to bite the pig) in Babe? Oh yes, it's true.

    *love*

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    You should see it! Very fun and entertaining. I saw it with John. He's been my movie date lately, very sweet. hahah it was funny. To help me with my headache he gave me his ski cap and sunglasses because the movie was too bright at times. And there was this little boy sitting next to me that kept messing with his drink, making all these noises with the lid and stuff, and so I gave him the "don't mess" look, right? Not really realizing just how dorky and ridiculous I looked with the sunglasses on while in a movie theater. I bet he was thinking, "fa-reak..." hahah whatever.

    I had no idea that was his voice in Babe! When I think about it, you're totally right!! Oh how cool... I want to watch that movie again now. He's just the coolest.

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Again, anoter movie ill look forward to when it comes out on dvd. I just love your reveiws. and i really take your advice on them too. thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home