LuvHaze

Monday, February 27, 2006

REVIEW: Brokeback Mountain


Director: Ang Lee


Starring: Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway


Plot: Two young men, Ennis (Ledger) and Jack (Gyllenhaal), apply for a job to go herd some sheep up at Brokeback Mountain. Then they fall in love. Then after they get back from the mountain they get married to other women, but they keep seeing eachother every few months or so for the next 20 years or whatever. Yep, that about covers it.


Alright, I'm just going to say it. BORING. This movie was extremely boring. AND it was eight hours long (well ok, 2 and a quarter). I honestly have to tell you, I ponder as to why exactly this movie was chosen for an Oscar nomination. (Especially over Walk the Line, with an actually UNIQUE story to tell.) Yea yea, it involves homosexuals, and that's pretty dang daring. But COME ON! I've seen this exact same story countless times that had to do with a man and a woman. Does the fact that it's two men REALLY make it some special tale? Well, I don't think so. I thought that the editing was choppy and the dialogue was ordinary. Very disappointing I must say.
Ok, done with the critiques for now. There is of course the topic of actors. Now, Heath Ledger was never one of my favorites. Very cute in 10 Things I Hate About You but bugged the crap out of me in A Knight's Tale. But once I saw the movie The Brothers Grimm, I suddenly had to change my mind. For the first time he showed some actual acting TALENT. His character was the sweetest thing and he had every mannerism of a feeble yet spirited little brother down. Heath only gets better in Brokeback. He completely blew me away with his portrayal of Ennis, a cowboy from Wyoming. Blew me away. It really seemed like he researched the heck out of his character and studied every one of Ennis' qualities, making Jake Gyllenhaal look like a rookie. Heath involved everything into his acting, the accent, walk, posture, pauses, dialect all that stuff. Very much deserves to be recognized with the Oscar Nomination, however, he's up against Joaqoiun Pheonix (or however you spell that guys name. He should've just stuck with Leaf, it's much easier to spell), it's hard to say who will be the actual winner.
As for the other actors. Jake Gyllenhaal was Jake Gyllenhaal. Go watch the Good Girl, or Donnie Darko, or the Day After Tomorrow if you want to know how his acting was, because it's all the same. I'm not saying he's necessarily BAD at acting, but as far as versitiliy and talent, not much there. He plays the cute, big-eyed, confused about life next-door neighbor guy very well, and Brokeback did well picking him to play Jack Twist. But Jake, I'm starting to get pretty flippin' tired of you, so how about we work on becoming more of a MAN, instead of you're usual boy role. Michelle Williams... is this girl up for an Oscar? I can't remember but she should be. She played Ennis' wife and what a fantastic performance. So real.
So that's pretty much all I can think of to say at this point. Not a spectacular movie and in my opinioin, doesn't deserve the rank of Best Picture nomination, however I do admire it's boldness. You know where I think this film went wrong? Or should I say where the director went wrong. I didn't connect. These men were supposedly in love, longing for eachother when they were apart, wishing they were together without the worries of the society (1960's), but I couldn't feel it. It needed... more. There was something missing. Something but I don't know what. What a bummer. All around disappointing movie, but saved by the acting talent.


Rating: 3/5

1 Comments:

  • At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finally, somebody who is not afraid to say that Brokeback Mountain was just so-so. All the critics are hailing it as so wonderful because it was so "brave". I know it's up for all these Oscars, but I won't be seeing it before then. With my limited movie-viewing time these days, I don't want to waste it on something depressing (yes, I googled it to get the full story--some call it spoiling--I call it saving my time and money). Anyway, I will catch the acting snippits during the Oscar ceremony, thank you very much. As good as Heath is reported to be, however, I think it's truly Joaquin's year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home