LuvHaze

Monday, February 13, 2006

REVIEW: Match Point

Director: Woody Allen

Starring: Jonathon Rhys Meyers, Scarlett Johanson and a bunch of English actors you'd see in all those British films.

Plot: We're set in England, following the story of Chris Wilton, (Meyers). This man has got it made. He's good looking, filthy rich and has found a wife that just adores him. Who also just so happens to be the daughter of a very wealthy man who "is quite so pleased to help". (I'm using my english accent there... get it?) Anyway, you'd think this were the perfect life or something, but the daring and flirtation Chris is bored. Until he meets his wife's brother's girlfriend, Nola Rice (Johanson) and is swept away by her seductive beauty. Things get a bit carried away between them (um, yea they have an affair), and now Chris has dug himself into a pretty fricken big hole. He's found excitement in the arms of Nola, but how could he ever leave his wife? Should he stay with the security of his wife, the chance to start a family and the never ending supply of money? Or should he leave it all behind to be with the new and thrilling American blond? Woody Allen takes us into a story that allows us to see the powerful differences between love and lust.


There really isn't THAT much to say about this movie. When I first watched the preview, and started hearing all these great reviews about Woody Allen's new movie, I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Here you've got a guy who gets married but then eventually gets bored and has an affair with some blond. Someone tell me if they HAVEN'T seen a movie with a similar plot? It's everywhere. There's nothing special about it, right?
Well, I have to say that although it may SEEM like the same old thing you'd always get with a story like this, it really was... different. No, unique. It's not like when you watch Sense and Sensibilty and Emma where it's pretty much the same movie except different actors. Match Point had a whole other atmosphere to it. Although it was done from a man's viewpoint, I definitley felt like I could relate. Not that I've had been involved in infidelity, I mean I've never cheated on anyone! But Woody made it seem so REAL. If I were to tell you THE word to describe this movie, it'd be realistic. There was no cheesy music playing to "set the mood", nor any corny lines said. These characters were portrayed as normal people, having totally normal conversations.
Here's something else that needs to be mentioned, the ending. See, Match Point is a good movie throughout. Woody keeps our attention with the way he kept adding to the plot. A lot of time went by, things happened NOT just to the main character, and he included some witty comments and jokes. However, the ending was what MADE the movie. I had never seen an ending to a story like this before. Totally did NOT see it coming either. It just comes out at you. I couldn't believe it at first! ("Hmm.... now what is doing with THAT? No way... nah probably not that...")
Ok, acting. I've seen Jonathan Rhys Meyers in a few things. Vanity Fair, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead... and he always plays the same bratty "I'm so bloody hot" guy. (English accent again!) Well, in Match Point, he's gown up and matured a bit. He seemed like your average guy, including all the obvious flirting when they first meet a girl, then once they've got her, neglet her and move on to something else. (I'm only mostly kidding guys...) VERY nice job in the movie Mr. Meyers. You really made it seem like you WERE this guy, stuck between his boredom with marriage and the lucious excitement of a hotter woman. And this scares me a little because you're so cute! Miss. Scarlett, usually I like her. She's incredibly hot and although I think Woody or whoever the casting director was did well choosing her to represent an American woman moving to England not sure what to do with her life. However, Scarlett didn't go above and beyond like I saw her do in Girl with a Pearl Earring. She's very comfortable with the cameras, and I think that that's what makes her appealing to watch in a film. Yet in this movie she struck me as ordinary. Not that fun and interesting. Ok...boring. There I said it. I'd much rather see her in movies like Pearl Earring with her bonnet and an accent I couldn't figure out where it was supposed to originate from.
Alright, so really, not that much to say about this movie. It was good all around, nice and solid with an extremely clever and enticing end. Woody, very nice job turning this ordinary plotline into a charmingly realistic and deliciously dark film. Definitley watch this movie. Whether it be rented or in theaters, watch it because you will remember it.

Rating: 4/5

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *****Spoiler alert*******
    ********Don't read this comment if you don't want to know********
    Stephny, is it true that he really kilt Scarlett? Who was the robber with the wedding ring in his pocket? What is the significance of the last scene where they walk in with the baby? Thanks for clearing this all up, my brain is swimming over heah.

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    ****SPOILER ALERT*******

    oh man i HATE giving away things in movies when people haven't seen them, but you and I have always done that for each other. hahah If I know I'm never going to see a movie, but curious to know what happens, I go straight to you. SO, with that said I will tell you that yes, scarlett does get killed. And it doesn't seem like any big deal, right? Well that's if you're watching some hollywood blockbuster with snazzy cars and everyone has guns in their pants. But Match Point didn't have that atmosphere whatsoever. It comes SO unexpectedly and although yes, it was wrong, boy it just made the movie that much more interesting. Plus, oh my gosh the realism! I mean, the guy wasn't a pro or anything with the rifle, he was never as heck! Things like that, you know.
    As far as the significance of the baby, I honestly didn't pick any "important lesson" from it. They were trying really hard for a baby and his wife could just never get pregnant.. hmm i don't know I'll have to think of something but I don't think it's something dramatic like, "oh! It's scarlet's baby!" or something like that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home