LuvHaze

Wednesday, July 19, 2006



REVIEW: Superman Returns


Director: Bryan Singer


Starring: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey, Parker Posey, James Marsden and Sam Huntington


Trailor: Superman Returns


Plot: Astronauts find some remainings of Superman's planet, and so he goes off to see what he can find and to do a little soul searching I guess. But five years goes by, and the Man of Steel is BACK!! But he finds that some things have changed liiiiike, Lois Lane has a son... and a fiance. (awww man!) Some things have stayed the same though. Lex Luther is still the greedy, malicious evil-doer and now has himself a big ol' evil plan that Superman will have to stop of course. What ensues is a couple hours of vicous FUN and exciting entertainment. :-)



Critique:

Ohhhh my gosh I loved, LOVED this movie! Where do I even begin?? First of all, Superman (along with Batman I'd say) is by far the BEST freaking comic book hero in history. Not only is he just this big, strong flying man... he's FULL of heart, and in LOVE! (Nothing more attractive on a guy :-*.) He just wants to make his dad proud, you know? And save freaking, EVERYBODY. I love it.


What truly made this movie great, was that it kept all authenticity of the original Superman. I believe that no true fan will be disappointed when they see Singer's design. Because they stuck with everything! Even Marlon Brando as the dad! They didn't add they're own gimmicks or make changes "for the better" or anything and THAT truly makes a difference in a remake. By the way, that is so freaking 80's, it's becoming more and more rare that you see directors doing that anymore. But that's a good thing, no a great thing. We peeps are only interested in the REAL story, you know? sheesh... don't EVEN get me started with that crap. (ahem Troy, Batman and Robin...) Anyway, yea, NONE of that here. It had the same vibe the 1978 Superman had with Christopher Reeves. Same kind of humor, same sweet love story, same dorky Clark Kent, same music which is amazing. Choreographed by John Williams of course, whom also is credited for creating music for other movies such as Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Hook, Close Encounter of the Third Kind and oh, pretty much everything else. Amazing.


Computer Graphics. Ok, DUH there's a lot of it. And yea you can tell in most parts... but alright if YOU can think of a better idea to make a man fly through the air and catch an airplane look like the real thing, then let somebody know. I gotta say, I didn't care that it looked fake. Whatever, you know? It didn't even look BAD! There are different kinds of "looking fake". There's Legolas-Horse-Flippin' fake, and Superman soaring over the Earth fake. I'd go with the latter of the two quite honestly. Lego-Flippin' is cheesy, and just plain unecessary. What they did with Superman was FUN! And expected of course because, well... humans can't fly afterall... It's astonishing really how far we've come. Good job team, the film looked phenominal, truly.



oKAY, here we go. I've been wanting to talk about this man for awhile now. Can I just say... NOT... BAD there casting director! Where in the world did you find this guy?! He's absolutely perfect. I was skeptical before coming into the film, wondering just HOW they think they can convince us that there is ANY other actor better for the Man of Steel then Mr. Reeves. But wow... he knocked my socks off with his performance. Brandon Routh is his name, and those ARE in fact his muscles under the suit. (phew...) He gives off that Superman VIBE! Undoubtedly powerful, yet extremely vulnerable and kind. You can tell that Brandon WANTED to do his best, and KNEW that he had a lot to live up to with this role. He nailed it, he really did.





I gotta tell you all. Seriously, WHAT the heck is Lois Lane thinking?! Clark Kent is JUST about the cutest thing I've ever seen. If I had to choose which "personality" of Supe's to fall for I'd definitely go for this one. (But I've always gone for the nerds anyway... tee hee! kidding.)








Kate Bosworth, ANOTHER fantastic choice. What a great idea, casting her as Lois Lane. Stong, independent, yet very feminine. Heck, I'd fall in love with her. Except her hair bothered me a bit. I really wanted to take a comb and do something with the front. But oh well, what the heck do I know about hair. Kate Bosworth has two colored eyes!! I didn't know this until I saw this movie. One is brown, one is blue. How cute! I heard her Lois Lane doll even has that aspect. Kate didn't bother me at any point in this film. Her character was very hurt about Superman leaving for five years, yet when he comes back, she couldn't deny her feelings for him. Gosh, such a sweet story there. And terrific job to both Kate and Brandon for delivering such worthy performances. :-)



I love Kevin Spacey. As soon as I saw that he was casted as Lex Luther I was thrilled. He's one of those actors you just kind of KNOW that he'll go a good job. He's already had some experience playing the bad guy in flicks (Se7en... ooo creepy) and I personally think that is where he is strongest. He's got that... evil... charisma. And you know what? He was pretty funny in this movie. Lex Luther's character is actually a pretty charming guy... he's just got something up his rear end I guess.







You know... sigh, you're supposed to hate this guy because he's Miss Lane's fiance... but he's just so cuuuute. He's no Depp, ok. But he does a swell job in this movie. But mostly... yea he's just nice to look at. Which isn't bad, but he does need to go away because Superman HAS to have Lois. No other way around it. Go back to X-Men world there, James.









Alright, it's true that this movie is now ranked as one of my top favorites of all time. But it wasn't COMPLETELY flawless I have to admit. I'll tell you what bothered me about this flick. The bad guys. Not Kevin, but his little followers. Usually I LIKE Parker Posey. My lord she was hilarious in Best In Show. It just didn't seem like she fit her role here. What was she, Luter's wife? Yea... I think she was trying to hard, because she came off really annoying here. And the other five or six lemmings... they were SUPPOSED to be funny, but again, just plain annoying. And why didn't any of them say more than two words? They just STOOD there, like Singer needed to fill in space or something that's all. OOO! You know what would have made them cool? Maybe instead of making them look like some cheap gang group, they could have dressed them up like Lex. You know in Armani suits and stuff, that would have given a whole other feeling... not soooo amateurish I guess.



Ok, that's all the critique I have! There are other things I wanted to say... but I don't want to give anything away so you're just gonna have to see it for yourself! And that's cool, because this is one of those movies one could watch over and over again. Honestly, in my opinion this movie pretty much has every aspect a good movie SHOULD have (finally...): Action, fantasy, romance, humor, incredible stunt coordination and digital effects. It had sophistication, morale, suspence and originality. This film was an add-on to the Superman epic. It didn't change any characteristics, it brought it all back! Of course, in a more modern way. This movie was... exciting. Authentic. Exactly what our Superman is.



Rating: 5/5

2 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Tim said…

    Kate Bosworth has a receding hairline, and she delivers a HORRIBLE line in the movie I can't stand.

    Lex's henchmen were meant to be amatuers. He had just gotten out of prison and thats all he could get together our of prison.

    Thats what I have to say, and I relly liked the movie too.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    what line are you talking about?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home