LuvHaze

Friday, May 19, 2006



REVIEW: The Da Vinci Code


Director: Ron Howard


Starring: Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Ian McKellen and Paul Bettany


Plot: Trailor: The Da Vinci Code Ok so I can't really tell you the plot because I refuse to reveal anything if there's somebody out there that doesn't know the "secret". So here's what I'll say; Robert Langdon, a professional in symbolism is asked to aid in an investigation involving a mysterious and freaky death occuring at the Louvre. With the help of Sophie Neveu, a cryptologist, they follow the clues and codes the victim left behind. But what are they trying to find? A killer? Or something much, much more...?





Critique: Obviously, this is a very controversial topic. So let me just say that I would like to leave all opinions and personal inferences out of this, and just talk about the movie, and it's entertainment value.
Let me be frank. If you've read the book, seeing the movie is unnecessary. I believe that the movie was created so that people who don't WANT to read the book, can watch the film, and have it shown and laid out for them. Like all adapted screenplays, certain subject matter is left out. The book was very detailed and thorough, while the movie was forced to fit eveything into two hours. Since I read the book, to me the film was pretty choppy, and I couldn't help but notice missing details, which made the movie-going experience not so fun.
HOWEVER, it was very neat to see shots of the Louvre and all sorts of other historical pieces. So the movie was enjoyable in that it gave you a better visual of what Dan Brown was trying to convey. Yet there's nothing like reading a book, and letting your imagination run wild, you know? What am I trying to say here... read the book if you want to get the real experience of The Da Vinci Code.



Let's talk about characters and actors.
First of all, Tom Hanks is not looking bad with that shag look! NICE, Tom. What is he, in his late 40's? Could have fooled me. He delivers a good solid performance. You really can't go wrong with Mr. Hanks, especially after Forest Gump. (Let's not mention the Bachelor Party... he was trying to make it in the biz, ok?) When I read Angels and Demons, the first book Dan Brown wrote with Langdon, I gotta say I pictures someone more like Hugh Jackman. I think my mom said she was thinking Harrison Ford... but no, Tom did a very nice job. He gave off the right vibe, you know, intelligent and calm, yet vulnerable. (In the movie he's claustrophobic, not so in the book, but hey they both give off the same kind of portrayal. It's not easy SHOWING insecurities in a person, think about it. Props to Ron.)
Audrey Tautou, playing Sophie Neveu, was also pretty good. I've never seen her before I don't think, but then again I don't watch THAT many french films. This was a pretty darn big role, and she didn't over-do it or anything. LOVE her hair. I want to know how she got the bob, so cute.
Ok, honestly, I'd hate to disappoint but there's really not that much to say about this film. Of course the movie had Ron's quality. The art direction was gorgeous and it had all the most modern camera movements and angles. The movie, the plot itself, yes it's has a curious, controversial topic. Yes, it was a cool mystery and yes, it was interesting enough to keep your attention... but so is the BOOK. Movie did the best it could, though.



Rating: 3/5

4 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the review Stephny. Was the movie theatre like crazy crowded since you went the day it opened? That's what's keeping me away from seeing the movie right now.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Yea it was pretty crazy, and there were protestors out on the sidewalk like Tim said. But no big deal. If you get there a half an hour early you'll be fine, but bring some padding for your tush!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Luv2ReedGrandma said…

    Good critique, Steph

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    I like the way you wrote that. good job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home