LuvHaze

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I have to tell you I am so excited about things that are coming up! I've got my best friend, Leech flying over to visit next weeked. She's staying for four days and lately we've been figuring out everything that we're going to do while she's here. Before I moved away, she and I spent every Tuesday night together. (Now that we can't do THAT, we make sure that we e-mail each other every Tuesday, and so far we've really kept it up! I'm so proud of us.) Anyway, a lot of times we'd cook velveeta macaroni and cheese and drink sparkling cider! I know that sounds kinda funky, but it's one of those silly traditions you'd have with a friend and I defenitley am going to make sure we do some of those things while she's in town. :-)

Also, believe it or not, I am so excited about school starting on the 17th. Its been awhile since I've been in a classroom and I'm so ready to get back into the books! Ever since I graduated from high school, I was kind of givin' an awakening if you know what I mean. See I did pretty well in high school I guess you can say. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA, but I only tried to do well because my goal was basically to just be able to graduate. Now that I've done that, it's like, "Ok, my goal isn't to just simply graduate anymore. My goal is more like, getting a career for the rest of my life...." hahah so my point in all of this is that I've come to the fact that I need to just buckle down and do my best, because I want to acheive BIG! You know?? heehee this sounds all cheesy and eveything I know, and I'm sure some of you are thinking, "um, why didn't this come across to you in high school?" Well, my answer to that is, "Because...it's high school." hahah

So I work as a part-time cashier. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to quit and get a more "presentable" job like you know waitrassing, but I'm fine with the hours and the pay for now. I'll worry until my bills can't get paid or something. Anyway, working as a cashier, I come across many different customers, PLUS living next to such a big city in this nation, I come across many different kinds of people. (1/2 the people I ring up aren't even able to speak english. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome that there's so much diversity, however there are so many ways you can sign language, "Can I have your phone number?") No seriously though, it can be so frustrating! It once took me 10 minutes to figure out a man with a strooong Indian accent that he needed to use my pen.... so I guess you can say that I've kind of become... a little impatient at times. Today, there was a women with a strong accent, and I could barely understand what she saying. About 20 times of me going, "Could you say that one more time?" and "Repeat that, please?" all I kept hearing was, "On left!", which made absolutely no sense at all. I finally said, "LOOK. I can't understand a WORD you are saying. I'm sorry.... I'm just gonna ring up your things, ok!?" she looks at me all confused and I'm thinking, seriously learn english lady... then she pulls out a pad of paper from her purse and writes, "I'm deaf." WHOOPS!! I felt awful of course. I apologized and was like, "ooohhhhh was THAT what you were tring to say!?" gosh... someone punch me in the face, quick. That gave me such an awareness, I did my best to stay patient and courteous to the rest of my customers.

Ok, on a much more serious note. I'd like to acknowledge that just a few days ago, my Great Grandma passed away from cancer. The thing is I can only remember meeting her once in my life, and I was too young to really know what was going on at the time. However I know how special she was to Grandma and my mom and her siblings, and for that reason, she was special to me. Years ago, my mom told me how a spirit will live on, just as long as people will remember them, and I will remember. :-)

Talk to you soon!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Tim said…

    why do you want all your customers'phone numbers? are you that desperate for a date?

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    HA HA

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Stephny, one of the really fantastic things about you is that you can really laugh at yourself. Believe it or not, not many people can do that. (And I know I just wrote a double negative in that last sentence. Bite me.)
    By the way, was your picture taken at work? It looks like you're standing in some big warehouse. I won't say where.
    Sweet that you're honoring Grandma Lyn by remembering. I think we'd all like to think that we've left behind some sort of legacy.
    Happy that Leech is coming to see you. And your chocolate is on the way! Love you.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Actually, it was taken at my former college! hahah warehouse.... :-)

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Luv2ReedGrandma said…

    Hey Stephanie
    You mentioned that you liked the book The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Dominique. What is it about, and how did you come about to read that one? Should I look for it at the library?

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    The Mercy of Thin Air is my favorite book right now. Honestly, I wasn't looking for it or anything, but I was having conflicts with some things like, getting my heart realllly broken for the first time, moving away from my older brother and the only BEST friend I've ever known. And I was at Target one day looking for some light bulbs and I saw this book on a shelf near the aisle, and whoever says that you can't judge a book by it's cover, probably wasn't raised in a time where book covers were so well done. The cover of this book is so girly, and you can see the title so clearly. It reached out to me I swear, The MERCY of Thin Air. So I picked it up, read like... two sentences of it's summary and tossed it in my cart.

    Taking place in the 1920's, it's about a young woman of dignity and substance. She doesn't NEED a man, but one of intelligence and a pleasant demeanor just so happens to come across her path, and falls for her unique and fearless character. The only thing is... she has died after a sudden and tragic accident. But she narrates her story to us 65 years after her death in a realm BETWEEN life, and whatever lies beyond...
    Grandma it's about lost loves, true friends, and it gives a very sweet outlook on life. There's no mystery, and I know you love those, also it gets VERY sad at times. I would recommend this for anyone to read as long as their not in a mood for something light... it can either LIFT your spirits, or totally bring it to the bottem, depending on how you take it I suppose.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Tina said…

    Hey, I'm a bit late to the party, but damn, I hope that deaf person wasn't me! heh heh heh...also, we both were sucked in by Ronlyn's cover - how funny. I'm gonna keep on reading now....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home